Bumthang (alt. 2,600m – 13,125 feet)
Having a uniqueness that fascinates its guests and distinct itself from other parts of the country, Bumtang comprises of four smaller valleys. This highly spiritual region is covered in religious fables. The great Buddhist teacher Pema Linga, the ancestor to the current Monarch, also hailed from Bumthang.
Places of Interest in BUMTHANG
Built in the 7th century by Tibetan King, Songtsen Gampo, Jambey Lhakhang is one of the 108 monasteries built to subdue evil spirits in the Himalayan region. Its present architectural appearance dates from the early 20th century.
Positioned before Jambey Lhakhang, Kurje Lhakhang comprises of three temples. The one on the right was structured in 1652 on the rack face where Guru meditated in the 8th century. Second sanctuary is based on the site of a cave holding a rock with the engraving of Guru’s body and is in this way acknowledged the most blessed The third sanctuary was established in 1990s by Ashi Kesang, the Queen Mother. These three sanctuaries are encompassed by a 108 chorten wall.
Placed inverse Kurje Lhakhang on the opposite side of the waterway, this sanctuary was established in 1501 by Tertonpema Lingpa, the re-incarnation of Gurupadsambhava. The monastery has extremely aged religious works of art like 1,000 Buddhas and 21 Taras (female manifestation of Buddhistava). The sanctuary was restored at the end of the 19th century.
Founded by great grand-father of the first Shabdrung, the Dzong was initially built as a monastery in 1549. It was upgrade after the Shabdrung had firmly established his power in 1646. The Dzong is now used as administrative centre for Bumthang valley, and houses the regional monk body.
Excursions around BUMTHANG
Established in 1470 by Shamar Rinpoche of the Kagyupa religious school, Tangbi Goemba is thirty minutes stroll away to the north of Kurje Lhahang. The monastery consists of two sanctuaries and a temple of petrifying divinities. The temple on the ground floor holds statues of past, present and future Buddha and three terracotta statues presumably dating end of the fifteenth century. On the upper floor, the foyer holds two amazing works of art of Guru Rinpoche’s paradise and the Buddha Amitabh’s paradise.
A couple of hours stroll from the Tangbi Goemba is the little district of Ngang Yul (Swan Land) and this sanctuary here is 100 m over the valley floor. Established in the fifteenth century by Lama Namkha Samdup, a contemporary of Pema Lingpa ,this site was visited by Guru Rinpoche. A three days celebration is held here every winter with masked dances to pay tribute to the creator of the sanctuary.
Situated just five minutes’ walk from Tang valley (in Bumthang), Pema Linga discovered a few of Guru Rinpoche’s shrouded fortunes here. A wooden scaffold that crosses the river is a great view point to look down into the lake. The significance of this place is shown by the broad exhibit of prayer flags and the little mud offering called ‘tse tsa’ in rock corners.
Ura is 48 km, about one and a half hour drive. To arrive here, the way ascensions to amazingly open farmland, just periodically running into woods. Vast sheep pastures line the street up to 20 km behind the southern tip of the Tang valley. The course crosses Ura la pass (3,600m) with an eminent perspective of Mount. Gangkhar Puensum. Villages in Ura have grouped houses, which is a little bizarre in Bhutan. Above Ura village (3,100m) is another sanctuary committed to Guru Rinpoche. Introduced in 1986, it holds a gigantic statue of the Guru and noteworthy canvases of the cycle of his teachings. Since most recent 25 years Ura has been changed from a peripheral group to flourishing valley.